39 replies to this topic

#1 wokstar

wokstar

Too much power!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 07:46 AM

After collecting 3 starlets, 5 years of driving the matte black starlet and 20 track days, I felt it was time to retire the tart as a daily. I'll never sell it tho and the plan is to fix her up into a neat ol' lil track car. With that in mind I set out to buy a rear wheel drive daily and back up track car. laugh.gif

I initially started out looking for a cappuccino, the car I had lusted after for many years. Anyone who has seen my reaction when I see a cappa on the road knows what i'm talking about. tongue.gif

Finding a cappuccino proved harder than I thought. Mugsee found 1 for sale. I called the owner up and it was already sold. I had a few of the cappa lads on the look out for me, and they found one in Ringwood for $15000. Yes, $15000! This is not an unusual price for a cappa either as they rarely come up for sale. As much as I love cappuccinos, I could not justify that kind of price for my beloved kei car.

The 2nd car in line was an mx5.

I confess, I’ve never been a long time or die hard mx5 fan like c2888had been, I'd always thought they were too girly to be honest however, (due to blowing up tart) I was presented with the opportunity to drive his mx5 around for a week. I suddenly knew why everyone raved about them.

The car was gutless as all hell but DAYUM was it fun to drive!

So with that, I set about looking for my own mx5. The car had to have the following features:

- Power steering

- Air conditioning

- Hard top (as car gets parked on the street)

- Good condition (low kms – well looked after)

- DEFINITELY NOT RED IN COLOUR

Without further adieu, I present you with the reddest mofo you’ve ever seen.

Whilst I can’t stand the colour of the car, it was the best condition one on the market (during my extensive 1 week carsales search) so I figured it’d be silly to pass it up based on its colour. Just in case you were wondering, I wanted a white or a black one. wink.gif

The lil’ roadster was purchased off a woman in her mid 30’s who did about 7000kms every year. The car has 143900kms on the clock. Usually with imports I wouldn't take the kms on the odometer as gospel however, the condition of this car seemed to reflect the kms.

She kept all sale documents and every single receipt for services and maintenance completed to her car which she has since passed on to me.

It passed a roadworthy with nothing more than a polish of the windscreen!

Here it is sitting happily next to tart. I have dubbed these two clowns Team roadSTARlet.

As this is the daily, plans are very modest and include:

- Rims

- Coilovers

- Exhaust

- Track days

Why is this car called M&M? Because here it is next to c2888's. How embarrassing… :oops:

Thanks to c2888 for mechanically inspecting the car for me!

Many new adventures to come, I've got some track days planned in this car for early next year haha. smile.gif

#2 JC

JC

Fully Rebuilt - On Gas!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 08:50 AM

Nice. If you need a set of track days rims I have a set of Mx5 Na8 14's with Falken Azenis on them.

#3 West

West

Fully Rebuilt - On Gas!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  • Interests:Drag racing, Track racing, SNOWBOARD.....badmington..

Posted 18 December 2009 - 09:08 AM

Don't be supprise if you start to spend money on this "suppose" to be spare car biggrin.gif.

#4 MaStars

MaStars

Mild Boost

• Members
  • Pip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Motorsport, bodyboarding, surfing, jet skiing, Females

Posted 18 December 2009 - 04:57 PM

love it, but make sure u put 15s on it with some mental negative offset, oh yea and sh*t loads of streech

i actually like the red expecially with the hardtop

#5 renstar

renstar

Mild Boost

• Members
  • Pip
  • 337 posts
  • Interests:Anything technical or motorised ,WRC,JDMST,Track days (new hobby)

Posted 20 December 2009 - 05:52 PM

Nice buy.It seems like everyone i know goes through a MX5 phase. We'll see how long you last before it's stripped out and your looking for another daily......
668 The neighbour of the beast

#6 wokstar

wokstar

Too much power!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 09:43 PM

QUOTE (JC @ 18 Dec 2009, 09:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice. If you need a set of track days rims I have a set of Mx5 Na8 14's with Falken Azenis on them.

Thanks for the offer JC however the spare starlet track rims fit on this too!

QUOTE (West @ 18 Dec 2009, 10:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't be supprise if you start to spend money on this "suppose" to be spare car biggrin.gif.

This is the dangerous thing, the starlet wasn't as easy to find parts for. There is 10000000000x things I could buy for the mx5. It's so easy. It's very dangerous sad.gif

QUOTE (MaStars @ 18 Dec 2009, 05:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
love it, but make sure u put 15s on it with some mental negative offset, oh yea and sh*t loads of streech

i actually like the red expecially with the hardtop

Haha I like how you think! As this car will stay stock under the bonnet, I figure I can afford to be a little silly about how it looks on the outside. tongue.gif

QUOTE (renstar @ 20 Dec 2009, 06:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice buy.It seems like everyone i know goes through a MX5 phase. We'll see how long you last before it's stripped out and your looking for another daily......

Funny you mention that, I signed up tonight for a track day in Feb with the MX5. wink.gif

#7 mundi

mundi

Fully Rebuilt - On Gas!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 12:29 AM

Nice choice Ying!

Its a great combination - what do older people say when you tell them the MX5 is your "Weekday/Daily"?

Mundi

#8 wokstar

wokstar

Too much power!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 07:43 AM

Regardless of age group, people seem to laugh at me. unsure.gif

The response is generally very similiar to renstars actually...

"So you bought a more impractical car for a daily, that just happens to fit your semis?"

I guess the logical thing to do would have been to buy a tow car instead of a back up track car (err i mean DAILY car tongue.gif). The thought did cross my mind for a second, but you know, zoom zoom and all that... wink.gif

#9 h a n i m

h a n i m

Addicted to forum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,373 posts
  • Interests:cars music partying beach shopping evan

Posted 23 December 2009 - 10:57 AM

awesome ying, congratulations!! im glad that you found what everyone was on about because i was rather clueless aswell.

anyway its cute as and glad they're fun to drive! the red looks awesome

Posted Image

92 GT Starlet

#10 wokstar

wokstar

Too much power!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 08:07 AM

Snap Crackle Pop - Making the daily more daily.

The first day I drove the MX5 to work, I noticed this annoying crackling coming from just behind me. I looked and there were no speakers behind the seat. I thought I was going insane until I realised there were speakers in the headrest.

To fix this, I moved all the sound to the front speakers. This didn't work, it only highlighted how bad those were too.

Sunday 20.12.09:
Now it's time to resort to stealing starlet parts. My nice headunit moves over to the daily.

Dan notices some less than good wiring done by the previous person and sets about fixing all that up too.

So, I learnt how to take an mx5 centre console out. Note: remember to plug back in the winky light before putting all the bolts back in.

Whoever created the 'half' din was a jerk.

Monday 21.12.09

Dan also had some spare speakers he was given from a guy at work a while ago. He thinks it's time I learnt how to take apart an mx5 door and change the speakers.

Unscrewed 4 bolts and the door handles/grabby bits come off easily.

Dan didn't trust me popping out the door cards because I like to smash clips. Here you can see every clip is not broken. Clearly I did not do this.

Old VS New

Success! Sound is much better now!

If you see someone offensively rocking out at the next set of lights, that'd probably be me.

#11 wokstar

wokstar

Too much power!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 08:12 AM

03.01.10 Bonus round.

Import cars sometimes come with bonus stuff. Heres what I got with the car.

Random strut brace.

Rear diff cradle brace.

Extractors.

I don't know if it has anything to do with the extractors, but this is one of the worst sounding engines I've ever heard. It definately needs an exhaust (or if i'm rich ITB or boost tongue.gif) to drown out the engine sound. Starlet: 1 Mx5: 0 in that department.

03.01.10 Attention to detail.

I've never been described as someone that pays attention to detail. I'm a 'that'll do' kinda person. Having said that, theres nothing on the MX5 thats broken and needs fixing really so I thought I'd give it a proper detail.

I've never had a car worth doing this on so this was my first attempt. Also note, this will be my last attempt. Haha it's really not for me.

Taking advantage of supercheaps 20% off sale, I pick up a meguirs quik detailing kit with clay bar. The other product was the free sample bottle of auto glym resin polish we all got a few months back. Windows were cleaned using auto glym glass polish.

As the car was cut and polished (quite badly) before I bought it, there wasn't too much grit on the paint but the clay bar still picked up a few things.

Rule number 1. Don't drop the clay bar on the ground. Guess what I did biggrin.gif

Left: Barred and polished. Right: Without any cleaning.

Obligatory shiny bonnet shot(s).

All finished. Also something I didn't notice when I bought the car in the evening. The car is a few different shades of red haha.

In conclusion, detailing a car is as painful as prepping and sanding a car back for a respray, but without the really big awesome reveal. laugh.gif

#12 wokstar

wokstar

Too much power!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 08:19 AM

Enough of the boring stuff. I'm on the hunt for some low offset 15" wheels. 15" wheels are easy to find, low offset 4x100 15" are proving to be a pita. The ones that I like that come up for sale tend to be quiiiiiiiiiiite expensive.

I can't bring myself to buy any sportmaxx rims just yet.

Also I couldn't help myself and ended up in the twisty stuff.

I would brace myself for places where I knew the starlet would jump and get jittery but it just never happened in the 5.

So thats what independent rear suspension is all about! Thats quite interesting! laugh.gif

In the mountains: Starlet: 0 Mx5: 1

#13 h a n i m

h a n i m

Addicted to forum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,373 posts
  • Interests:cars music partying beach shopping evan

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:02 AM

i have to agree rear wheel drive around twisties is a lot of fun!!!

ur posts are so amusing smile.gif

Posted Image

92 GT Starlet

#14 Osh Kosh

Osh Kosh

I'm with stupid!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:33 AM

My brother just bought one of these from a mate of mine that locked the only set of keys in the boot... 3 years ago
My mate couldnt figure out how to get in to my brother picked it up for next to nothing.. got it home on a trailer and got into the boot, got the keys and started the car in 10 minutes... My comment was.. "You need the right tool for the job!" tongue.gif

Anyways its an interesting car, while I wouldnt own one.. my brother is enjoying throwing it around the streets!
What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it.

#15 mundi

mundi

Fully Rebuilt - On Gas!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 01:28 AM

Great work Ying!

Good to see your having fun with her!

I wouldnt worry to much about the colour differentiation - its almost mandatory for import MX5s smile.gif

Keep at it!

Mundi

#16 wokstar

wokstar

Too much power!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 10:20 PM

20.01.2010 BLAKE pads.

I ordered another set of the infamous BLAKE pads from Japan.

Much to my dismay, some gaijin must've had a word with the company, as they've corrected their spelling to say Brake. Awww.

The brakes on the MX5 needed an overhaul anyway (read: track day is coming up tongue.gif).

They were a good street/track pad for the starlet. No fade, not too dusty and didn't squeal on the street. The Trust/GREX pads on the starlet at the moment squeal like mofos so wasn't keen on using those again as this is a daily driver. wink.gif

Oh yeah, I've found and purchased a set of rims too! They are on their way over from Japan wrapped in some tyres that are unnecessarily small for the width of the rim. Stretch anyone? laugh.gif

They should arrive in Mid February.

Stay tuned and stay classy!

Edited by wokstar, 20 January 2010 - 10:21 PM.

#17 wokstar

wokstar

Too much power!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 09:36 AM

29.01.10 Seriously, they had to be replaced anyway.

#18 wokstar

wokstar

Too much power!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:30 AM

06.02.10 Mazda track prep brake day!

New vs Old. They were rusted on something fierce. Happy Gilmore style hammer attacks may or may not have been involved.

Cain's MPS 3 front rotor vs MX5 front rotor. Yes, his rears were also larger than my fronts!

Woohoo!

#19 wokstar

wokstar

Too much power!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:31 AM

13.02.10 The weight of the world.

Took it to weigh bridge in full street trim (incl. spare etc.) It's a chubby little thing.

#20 wokstar

wokstar

Too much power!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:32 AM

19.02.10. The shoes maketh the man...

Got my 'track' alignment done today at Rowville Traction and Tyres.

While I was there, got them to swap my rims over too.

It's not as easy as the starlet. You can't just throw 12 tyres into the back.

The solution is 3 in the passenger seat + 1 in the boot. Some dudes in a work ute gave me a weird look as I was driving to the alignment place.

Even bad 90's soft spoke rims that have been spray canned look better than the oem wheels. tongue.gif

Now lets hope I don't make a major embarassment of myself on the track tomorrow!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2018 Your Company Name