#21 Graham

Graham

Hi PSI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 860 posts
  • Interests:Computers, cars, photography, electronics gadgets, RC Nitro, etc

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:09 AM

Woo hoo - Sera uniqueness now with the heart of a Starlet GT. Just like Toyota should have made them back in 1990!

Engine swap has happened this weekend and we fired it up tonight and ... IT LIVES! smile.gif
(We only idled it to ensure everything that was supposed to, turned properly)

Sadly, it couldn't come home with me as some final small & annoying bits need sorting.

A tip for anyone else doing this - use the 4EFTE power steering pump - the 5E one doesn't leave enough room for the factory air intake to the turbo.
Would be OK if I had front mount plans sorted, sadly I'm not that organised. sad.gif

One of my jobs was to swap the 4EFTE ecu in, but do you think I could do that? Nup, I think I must be blind - I was looking in the right place, too!
Toyodiy's pic shows it on the left side of the passenger footwell. At least I left the trim & carpet off and Paul will hopefully find it straight away when he gets to that.
http://www.toyodiy.c...ACPGH_8404.html

Lets see what the next few days bring. smile.gif

#22 Yangster

Yangster

Getting Started

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:15 PM

Hi Graham,

Its a nice/romantic story to hear from you....

Just joined AuSatrlet club in pursue of my dream of owning one Sera.... my first Sera.

Have had a starlet before but Sera sure is an attractive car to own and keep....

Have been keeping an eye out for Sera in the market at the moment, its all like you said Graham... 3 out of 10...

I feel the pain of those Seras getting abused and not maintained... some people dont deserve to own a Toyota...

#23 paulep82

paulep82

Addicted to forum

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,317 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:35 PM

Got your front mount piping in today! Just gotta source a cooler the right size and that's sorted. Also got the power steer line! Now just gotta find some time!
Posted Image
The real question is, would you tell your friends you were beaten by a starlet?

#24 Graham

Graham

Hi PSI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:44 PM

woohoo! smile.gif

#25 Graham

Graham

Hi PSI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:09 PM

And she came home last Tuesday, converted from an asthmatic lightweight into a bit of a freight train.

It's not outright fast, but climbs hills and accelerates away from lights so much stronger.
My wife drove it easily, makes it a much more tractable car and the 200cc less capacity isn't really noticed.
I think the automatic gearbox helps it come on boost sooner. The torque converter might be locking up at 3500rpm which makes it a big stally smile.gif

Have to love that turbo, now I know why you guys all like GTs smile.gif

#26 Graham

Graham

Hi PSI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:38 PM

So here it is, with many thanks and $ to Paul smile.gif

The top mount IC hits the bonnet, so we've jacked the back of the bonnet up about 3cm. Looks ugly when seeing the car at a quarter or side angle, but right now it's function over form.

Clearance off the turbo to radiator didn't have much room to spare!

And the exhaust off the donor car fit straight on, a great bonus. Thankfully it's much quieter than our old cannon system

#27 Graham

Graham

Hi PSI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:54 PM

Unfortunately, I have a smoking problem that I have to give up.
The turbo is blowing a lot of smoke. I'm assuming this is a turbo seal problem, does that sound right?

There's a fair bit of exhaust smoke. I tried to remove down pipe, but with it cracked open and the engine running, oil physically bubbles & boiled out of the opening (just a 2 minute test in the garage).
Would this also contaminate the catalytic converter? Or should it burn off once we get it sorted and give it a proper drive?

I've looked at pics of the CT9 exhaust outlet, it looks like just the exhaust turbine and wastegate valve and there shouldn't be any oil there.

So, Does anyone have a good condition CT9 available???

What are options for swapping on an otherwise stock 4EFTE? TF035 from Forresters apparently, but what manifold fits?

Anyone with advice or help on this one, it would be greatly appreciated.
The missus is on at me every day to sort this out so she can drive it smile.gif

Oh, one more thing - It's only been driven home and then a midnight test run.
During the test run, the temp gauge would reach normal when idling, but once driving along, it dropped to cold.
Is the Sera cooling system too effective for the 4EFTE, was it just because ambient temps were in single digits, or could there be something wrong?
The 5EFHE never dropped temps like that and it sometimes got very hot even on the rocker cover.

Cheers! Graham.

#28 Mo3

Mo3

Addicted to forum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:42 PM

QUOTE (Graham @ 11 Jun 2012, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unfortunately, I have a smoking problem that I have to give up.
The turbo is blowing a lot of smoke. I'm assuming this is a turbo seal problem, does that sound right?

There's a fair bit of exhaust smoke. I tried to remove down pipe, but with it cracked open and the engine running, oil physically bubbles & boiled out of the opening (just a 2 minute test in the garage).
Would this also contaminate the catalytic converter? Or should it burn off once we get it sorted and give it a proper drive?

I've looked at pics of the CT9 exhaust outlet, it looks like just the exhaust turbine and wastegate valve and there shouldn't be any oil there.

So, Does anyone have a good condition CT9 available???

What are options for swapping on an otherwise stock 4EFTE? TF035 from Forresters apparently, but what manifold fits?

Anyone with advice or help on this one, it would be greatly appreciated.
The missus is on at me every day to sort this out so she can drive it smile.gif

Oh, one more thing - It's only been driven home and then a midnight test run.
During the test run, the temp gauge would reach normal when idling, but once driving along, it dropped to cold.
Is the Sera cooling system too effective for the 4EFTE, was it just because ambient temps were in single digits, or could there be something wrong?
The 5EFHE never dropped temps like that and it sometimes got very hot even on the rocker cover.

Cheers! Graham.

that sucks

ive got a ct9 pretty sure its in good condition..ill check again

go tf035 if your bank account allows you to

#29 Graham

Graham

Hi PSI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 03:28 PM

Thanks Mo3. wink.gif

This is a fun job, removing a turbo. I'm undoing bolts and thinking, how the hell did Paul put this on so tight. Then I realised he didn't remove the turbo or manifold, so it wasn't him! in fact, looking at the manifold bolts, that would be 20 year old factory work smile.gif

I got nearly everything disconnected, then I found the bottom oil pipes are attached with 12mm nuts that are a bit damaged and I don't want to touch them. I can disconnect the big rubber oil drain(?) pipe that goes to the sump, but I can't get to the other pipe - it's somewhere up inside/under/behind the AC compressor. Does anyone know how to get to this sucker? do I have to take the AC compressor off?

I'm beginning to regret trying to tackle this job smile.gif

Also, anyone know where a good source for replacement gaskets are? I'm going to need turbo to manifold and down pipe. Or can I just use high temp sealant? The stuff I have is rated to 320C or similar.

Cheers!
Graham.

#30 Graham

Graham

Hi PSI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:31 AM

Guys + gals, can anyone help with some advice?

I've taken off the AC compressor and it's mounting plate but can't get the oil feed off.
As per this pic there's a large 19mm bolt which is just too stubborn for the amount of room I have. ie: can't apply much leverage.

Is it safe to remove the 3 smaller nuts holding the entire assembly to the block, or just remove the big sucker holding the oil line on?

Getting the AC compressor off wasn't too difficult, but dropping a bolt towards my eye and dodging it by bashing my nose into the underside of the front spoiler and then my head into the concrete floor was the signal that it's a good time to take a break from this for the night doh1.gif

#31 Graham

Graham

Hi PSI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:59 PM

Yay, turbo off at last. smile.gif
I'll fetch some gaskets from GCG Turbos ASAP and put the replacement turbo on.

Now that I've removed a turbo once, I'm expecting to be able to put it back on much faster smile.gif

My next step coming will be the legal side.
I've just read RTA's website, and it says that engine swaps that increase engine capacity no more than 15% can be owner certified.
Examples of minor (owner cer tified) modifications are:
„ Engine changes where the capacity increase is less than 15% above the maximum size engine available for the
vehicle (providing no major structural modifications are necessary and where noise and/or exhaust emission
ADRs apply, all standard equipment such as carburettors, exhaust systems, exhaust gas recirculating valves,
oxygen sensors and catalytic convertors relating to noise and emission control are retained and operate
correctly).

So reading this, I think I only need a blue slip - cool smile.gif
Unfortunately, the details I've found about getting a blue slip says I need a receipt with engine # and capacity on it - as this engine came from a wreck, I don't have that type of receipt - makes it seem a bit difficult. Does this mean I'm back to getting an engineers certificate, simply because the engine is unidentified?

#32 paulep82

paulep82

Addicted to forum

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,317 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:16 AM

I'm sure u can get buy with a stat dec saying what u have done. If that's not sufficient, get a receipt from a friend who u said u sold the sera to and then u purchases stuff from him! I do it all the time with receipts for whole car purchases from Rta. They only trace back one previous owner which is the receipt u have from the seller u made up.
Posted Image
The real question is, would you tell your friends you were beaten by a starlet?

#33 Graham

Graham

Hi PSI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:03 PM

That's the type of thing I like to hear. Hopefully the legal part of my engine swap will be easy.

Now for my next problem. ( am I being a drama queen? )
I removed the oil feed/drain parts from my 'new' turbo, and decided to put a little oil into it and spin the turbine to ensure the seals are lubricated. I left it sitting there overnight, only to find that the oil had drained out through the exhaust side of the turbo by morning.
Does this mean the seals are gone in this turbo also, or just that it's not meant to have 10W40 oil sitting inside of it?

Gaskets are on their way, I just dread the thought of putting this turbo on, only to find I have to remove it again.

Edited by Graham, 26 June 2012 - 11:12 PM.

#34 Graham

Graham

Hi PSI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:25 PM

Just a few photos for my story smile.gif

One very noisy and slow 1.3L N/A Sera smile.gif

I picked up a PCV from Toyota and the CT9A gasket kit from GCG Turbo's came in the mail today.
Bonus - the gasket kit has 1 extra paper gasket that wasn't in the photo - it's for the compressor outlet (I think).

Oil in/outlet of new turbo:

oil coming out of new turbo sad.gif

Should I install this, or find another? Does anyone have opinions on this for me?

Cheers!

#35 Rebecca

Rebecca

Getting Started

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:16 PM

oil coming out of new turbo!!!!
Something you want to tell me dear?
Why did you go ahead and install this?

#36 fearlesss

fearlesss

Addicted to forum

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,684 posts
  • Interests:Winning,

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:49 PM

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif Looks like someone just installed wireless internet in the kitchen tongue.gif

RIP Graham

#37 Graham

Graham

Hi PSI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:15 PM

ROFL + Ohh bugger.
She's found me!

I got the turbo back on and now just need to finish reassembly of coolant lines, radiator, AC compressor and inlet & intercooler piping.
Fingers crossed the oil leaking was only because it was sitting there for a day and seeped out past a non-rotating shaft & seal.
Normally oil is only fed into the turbo when the engine is running, so I'm hoping that the oil won't leak under normal conditions. If it does, at least I should be able to drive it to a mechanic smile.gif

#38 Mo3

Mo3

Addicted to forum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:18 PM

QUOTE (fearlesss @ 29 Jun 2012, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif Looks like someone just installed wireless internet in the kitchen tongue.gif

RIP Graham

LOLOOLOLOL

QUOTE (Graham @ 29 Jun 2012, 05:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ROFL + Ohh bugger.
She's found me!

I got the turbo back on and now just need to finish reassembly of coolant lines, radiator, AC compressor and inlet & intercooler piping.
Fingers crossed the oil leaking was only because it was sitting there for a day and seeped out past a non-rotating shaft & seal.
Normally oil is only fed into the turbo when the engine is running, so I'm hoping that the oil won't leak under normal conditions. If it does, at least I should be able to drive it to a mechanic smile.gif

i hope its fine ay..

#39 Graham

Graham

Hi PSI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:26 PM

Thanks Mo3, fingers crossed here too. So far it looks good. smile.gif

I got it all back together today and had a short test run.
It burned oil for a couple of minutes, but seemed to stop after a lap around the block. Hopefully all good now.
This was just a gentle shake down test after having a turbo replaced by a computer programmer smile.gif More testing tomorrow.

I also added a boost gauge. Max reading was just 5psi with full throttle in first gear up a hill to ~5,000rpm.
Hopefully I clamped all intake hoses properly and there's more boost in taller gears smile.gif

Assuming that it's going to be reliable, then I'm proud that I've done this myself. IMO it was a serious job.
I have even more respect for people that do this sort of thing every day.

#40 Rebecca

Rebecca

Getting Started

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:59 AM

QUOTE (fearlesss @ 29 Jun 2012, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

RIP Graham

hmm not a bad idea but then Graham would never get dinner done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2018 Your Company Name