• Members
  • PipPip
  • 858 posts
  • Interests:Computers, cars, photography, electronics gadgets, RC Nitro, etc

Posted 16 September 2016 - 11:10 AM

More mods are good. 
Here's what I'm doing next week:

IMG_20160915_124915_zpsk5gzu1ku.jpg

"XYZ" brand Coilovers - specifically for Starlets, but I believe it's compatible.

I was quite impressed by the retail packaging.
IMG_20160915_124542_zpsyh14owf7.jpg

#82 Graham

Graham

Hi PSI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 01:23 AM

Got the front shocks installed tonight, plus a touch of paint on the brake caliper.

Steering travel looks OK, about a fingers gap to the brake hard line. Jacked it up and vertical travel doesn't get any closer.

I'm not happy that one of the bolt holes on the front struts is slotted (oval) - makes wheel alignment harder to get even, but otherwise I'm looking forward to having these on the road.

Tomorrow I'll put the wheels back on and see how it sits on the ground - I'm worried I may have it a bit too low - this is the static (unloaded) height difference of the struts:

Some might be interested - these XYZ coilovers weigh 5.5kg, my old spring & strut with a Koni insert weighs 6.6kg - only 1kg difference.
The same suspension swap in my old Mitsubishi Magna saved about 5kg per corner.

#83 Androo26

Androo26

Fully Rebuilt - On Gas!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 05:21 PM

Hey Graham .. want to sell your old struts ... Im looking for some original ones to put inserts in. PM me.

#84 Androo26

Androo26

Fully Rebuilt - On Gas!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 05:43 PM

Another thing Graham, could you do a bit of a review on these coilovers. good , bad and  how you find them on normal roads ect.

#85 Graham

Graham

Hi PSI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 08:42 PM

a review is going to be rather subjective - I don't have a lot to compare it to, but will do.

Build wise they seem good and come with hardware to secure the brake line - the only other coilovers I bought didn't have any.

Physical layout is good, finish & metals appear to be strong enough, I'd like a manufacturer recommendation on adjustment limits, but I'll just err on the side of caution.

One dislike is the top mounting point for the front hubs uses a slotted hole - I really hate this because it risks slipping and throwing out camber, plus it's difficult to get both sides the same, which would then reduce the range of adjustment at the strut tops.

Old struts & springs are available - fronts are Koni yellow adjustables in the original strut and still have good life left in them. Rear shocks aren't working properly so would be free with the fronts.

I still haven't installed the rears - didn't have clearance to jack the car up & get axle stands under at the same time, so I'm going to take it to a suspension shop and install there and get height and wheel alignment adjusted with the pros.

#86 Androo26

Androo26

Fully Rebuilt - On Gas!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 08:59 AM

First dibs on the old struts !!

PM me Graham

#87 Graham

Graham

Hi PSI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 11:08 PM

pm sent, Androo -  I was offline for a couple of days.

I managed to install the rears today and I guessed the height well - can only just get 2 fingers between tyre and wheel arch, the front is a fraction less clearance than the rear, and each side is level.

About perfect for my tastes on the aesthetics. Handling? I'll just wait and see.

I gently drove down the street to listen for anything being loose, but it felt like I was riding a pogo stick, so I adjusted the shocks to 5 clicks from the softest and it was much better. I think they were set to hardest in the box and I hadn't touched them.

It's booked in for a wheel alignment on Wednesday, then I'll take it for a proper drive and see how it corners.

#88 Graham

Graham

Hi PSI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 06:01 PM

Quick review of the XYZ coilovers ? They're too firm :(

Might be fine for a smooth race track, but not great on Sydney roads.

They survive OK and a younger person might be happy with them, but they're just a bit too solid for me.

However, because we use it so rarely, I'm keeping them. We went to the drive ins and it's doing school pickup this week while the wife's car is getting hail repaired, but not much else.
The Mrs and kids haven't complained, so maybe they aren't too bad?

I don't know the spring rate, but perhaps softer springs would be an answer. I imagine it might be worse in a lighter car, which Starlets are.

Our Sera with 4EFTE weighs just over 1000kg dry.

#89 Graham

Graham

Hi PSI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 06:18 PM

More recent fun, I replaced the starter motor this month.

The old starter motor was sticking and not turning the engine. Only seemed to happen sometimes when hot, but of course, the most inconvenient time. Like when picking up junior from his year 6 Formal ! How embarrassing to him :)

So I finally visited a mechanic & auto sparky with my starter motor in pieces. Verdict: solenoid parts not available and the armature was too warn, not worth time & money to rebuild.

So I got them to order a Bosch unit for $280.  Bosch part # BXD062N, Jaylec part # 70-8119

I looked up the part number once I got it home, same is available for $200 on ebay and online parts stores. D'oh!

Installation time and I find it doesn't fit my engine!

My starter motor mounts with 2 bolts, one is accessible from on top of the engine, below the distributor and water inlet/thermostat block. It passes through the bellhousing and screws into the starter's mount - had to remove air inlet pipe and use a 14mm socket with extension to reach it.

From under the car, another bolt passes through the starter motor and screws into the bellhousing. Again 14 mm socket.

The old starter had one threaded hole and one for the bolt to pass through. New starter motor has 2 threaded holes.

So I drilled one hole out using a drill press and physical mounting is now same as original.

FYI for anyone reading this, I discussed on FB with Starlet ppl and some 4E engines have their starter motor mount differently to mine. So with the all this info, hopefully you know what to look out for if you're going through the same.

Next was wiring. Battery +ve feed to the starter is same, but solenoid plug is different to my wiring loom.

I had to remove the plug off the car, replace it with a new female spade connector which would grip the male spade terminal. There's no plastic locking clip any more :(

For that, I'd have to find a plug of a Starlet or something.

Now the starter motor is installed, wired up and working perfectly!

I wonder if my starter motor was transferred from the Sera's 5E engine. That would explain the mounting holes and the plug being a little different.

More recent fun, I replaced the starter motor this month.

$280 for a Bosch unit through a mechanic, but I looked up the part number and it's $200 on ebay and online parts stores. :(
Bosch part # BXD062N, Jaylec part # 70-8119

Out of the box, it didn't fit my engine!

My starter motor had 2 bolts, one was accessible below the distributor. It passed through the bellhousing and screwed into the Starter - had to remove air inlet pipe and use a 14mm socket with extension.

#90 Graham

Graham

Hi PSI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 06:19 PM

#91 dougmo

dougmo

Mild Boost

• Members
  • Pip
  • 424 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 09:46 PM

Quick review of the XYZ coilovers ? They're too firm :(

Might be fine for a smooth race track, but not great on Sydney roads.

They survive OK and a younger person might be happy with them, but they're just a bit too solid for me.

However, because we use it so rarely, I'm keeping them. We went to the drive ins and it's doing school pickup this week while the wife's car is getting hail repaired, but not much else.
The Mrs and kids haven't complained, so maybe they aren't too bad?

I don't know the spring rate, but perhaps softer springs would be an answer. I imagine it might be worse in a lighter car, which Starlets are.

Our Sera with 4EFTE weighs just over 1000kg dry.

i am pretty sure they are 7kg front, 6kg rear which would be on the stiffer side for the street, would be good for the track though.

i have bc that came with 6/4 springs, i changed to 4/3 and its much better over the bumps on the road but too soft for the track

winton 1:27.4 /// sandown 1:21.5 /// phillip island 1:49.4 /// haunted hills 59.1///eastern creek 1:35.4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2017 Your Company Name