I thought I'll finally get around to posting some pics up of my car, it's been a work in progress for far too long, due to circumstances it's been neglected but I'm finally pulling my finger out and fixing the car and getting it back on the road.
In a nut shell - Original JDM 1987 - Toyota Corolla II GP Turbo with a 4EFTE starlet GT engine conversion,
I went from from the origina 3ETE 1.5ltr SOHC 12value Turbo to the 1.3ltr DOHC 16v Turbo,
The engine conversion was done by dodgy brothers, and they didn't replace the ECU
After about a month or so the 4EFTE developed some wild problems, including major over-fueling, blown turbo, radiator top busted.
The shockies blew out and a hole developed in the exhaust...
After moving house several times and having other expenses, the Corolla was put aside, until now, 4/5yrs later where I found a way to have resources and time to get it back on the road.
Resources via a parts car that was exchanged for a carton of beer.
The parts car has a 4EFTE engine conversion so I stole it's ECU plugs and put them on the 3ETE engine loom, and that pretty much brings me up until now, ....
I'll try and do a bit of time line.
It's my first car - bought it 2003-ish, back then it had the original 3ETE - 1.5ltr SOHC 12v turbo engine.
I replaced the 3ETE with a 4EFTE, back then it was my daily and every time something went wrong which I couldn't fix I struggled to get parts and to find a mechanic who would work on it.
The guys who did the engine transplant ripped me off and stole my parts - and didn't swap the ECU over so I was running a 4EFTE on a 3ETE ecu - it failed after a couple of months majorly and I couldn't afford to fix it as I spent all my money on the transplant so I was forced to get a car loan and bought a new daily (Astra TS)
After being towed to 3 houses and at the last one sitting under the house in the dirt for over 3years I decided to do something about it late in 2011, even if it meant cleaning it and getting it back up little by little.
The white you see is mold.
Those pellets on the carpet is poo from god knows what lol
Car was packed full of parts and misc stuff
For a couple of months I worked under the house in the dirt cleaning the car up - worst part was no standing room under the house.
1st time in 3years that the car was moved into the sunlight and aired out - Note I don't have a garage or car port so had to work on the car in the backyard in a questionable neighborhood
I should have put the car on stands to avoid this, but luckily it was the only one.
I cleaned it out the mold and brought it back to it's old self.
I had a go at swapping the ECU over to the 4EFTE (left) from the 3ETE (right), basically worked out what is what and cut and soldered it over, my first go at soldering and doing anything like this.
The result - it may not be pretty, each wire was heat-shrink wrapped and I put some electrical tape on every soldered wire to insulate it, so far so good, the car runs.
I had to swap the fuel pump (actually ended up swapping the whole tank) - old one got a little rusty lol
I cleaned up the car and changed the following to get it going - fuel pump & tank, fuel filter, spark plugs, injectors, fuel rail....
I also copped a face full of fuel in my eyes and sliced opened my leg which required stitches and hospital visits for a month whilst working on the car, our house got robbed when visiting family in hospital and things got a bit much so we ended up moving out - I took the car to our new home - this time I have a garage! and space for all my tools so I'm getting stuck into the car so I can get rego and come along to meets and track days you guys have.
Finally a garage, a hard surface to crawl on and knowing the car is safe.
I bought a FMIC from a guy on here - it was suppose to have everything to bolt straight on but ended up missing the reducers from 3" to 2.5", it's an ebay kit so quality is so so - I made the intercooler fit by trimming the bottom radiator support and making up some brackets. - Best part is that the front bar fits over the intercooler so it doesn't draw unwanted attention.
I pulled the suspension from the parts car and replaced my original suspension - newer suspension consists of KYB shocks and stiffer springs.
And that's pretty much it, I have a whole bunch of issues that I'm researching and trying to fix, so far not with so much luck but it's slowly getting there.
Edited by TOMsGPTurbo, 04 April 2012 - 11:11 PM.