TOMsGPTurbo

Lo Boost

• Members
  • Pip
  • 183 posts
  • Interests:One day driving my car

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:07 PM

Hey guys,

I thought I'll finally get around to posting some pics up of my car, it's been a work in progress for far too long, due to circumstances it's been neglected but I'm finally pulling my finger out and fixing the car and getting it back on the road.

In a nut shell - Original JDM 1987 - Toyota Corolla II GP Turbo with a 4EFTE starlet GT engine conversion,
I went from from the origina 3ETE 1.5ltr SOHC 12value Turbo to the 1.3ltr DOHC 16v Turbo,
The engine conversion was done by dodgy brothers, and they didn't replace the ECU
After about a month or so the 4EFTE developed some wild problems, including major over-fueling, blown turbo, radiator top busted.
The shockies blew out and a hole developed in the exhaust...
After moving house several times and having other expenses, the Corolla was put aside, until now, 4/5yrs later where I found a way to have resources and time to get it back on the road.
Resources via a parts car that was exchanged for a carton of beer.
The parts car has a 4EFTE engine conversion so I stole it's ECU plugs and put them on the 3ETE engine loom, and that pretty much brings me up until now, ....

I'll try and do a bit of time line.

It's my first car - bought it 2003-ish, back then it had the original 3ETE - 1.5ltr SOHC 12v turbo engine.

I replaced the 3ETE with a 4EFTE, back then it was my daily and every time something went wrong which I couldn't fix I struggled to get parts and to find a mechanic who would work on it.

The guys who did the engine transplant ripped me off and stole my parts - and didn't swap the ECU over so I was running a 4EFTE on a 3ETE ecu - it failed after a couple of months majorly and I couldn't afford to fix it as I spent all my money on the transplant so I was forced to get a car loan and bought a new daily (Astra TS)

After being towed to 3 houses and at the last one sitting under the house in the dirt for over 3years I decided to do something about it late in 2011, even if it meant cleaning it and getting it back up little by little.

The white you see is mold.

Those pellets on the carpet is poo from god knows what lol

Car was packed full of parts and misc stuff

For a couple of months I worked under the house in the dirt cleaning the car up - worst part was no standing room under the house.

1st time in 3years that the car was moved into the sunlight and aired out - Note I don't have a garage or car port so had to work on the car in the backyard in a questionable neighborhood

I should have put the car on stands to avoid this, but luckily it was the only one.

I cleaned it out the mold and brought it back to it's old self.

I had a go at swapping the ECU over to the 4EFTE (left) from the 3ETE (right), basically worked out what is what and cut and soldered it over, my first go at soldering and doing anything like this.

The result - it may not be pretty, each wire was heat-shrink wrapped and I put some electrical tape on every soldered wire to insulate it, so far so good, the car runs.

I had to swap the fuel pump (actually ended up swapping the whole tank) - old one got a little rusty lol

I cleaned up the car and changed the following to get it going - fuel pump & tank, fuel filter, spark plugs, injectors, fuel rail....

I also copped a face full of fuel in my eyes and sliced opened my leg which required stitches and hospital visits for a month whilst working on the car, our house got robbed when visiting family in hospital and things got a bit much so we ended up moving out - I took the car to our new home - this time I have a garage! and space for all my tools so I'm getting stuck into the car so I can get rego and come along to meets and track days you guys have.

Finally a garage, a hard surface to crawl on and knowing the car is safe.

I bought a FMIC from a guy on here - it was suppose to have everything to bolt straight on but ended up missing the reducers from 3" to 2.5", it's an ebay kit so quality is so so - I made the intercooler fit by trimming the bottom radiator support and making up some brackets. - Best part is that the front bar fits over the intercooler so it doesn't draw unwanted attention.

I pulled the suspension from the parts car and replaced my original suspension - newer suspension consists of KYB shocks and stiffer springs.

And that's pretty much it, I have a whole bunch of issues that I'm researching and trying to fix, so far not with so much luck but it's slowly getting there.

Cheers,
Tom.

Edited by TOMsGPTurbo, 04 April 2012 - 11:11 PM.

#2 GT on full boost

GT on full boost

Fully Rebuilt - On Gas!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts
  • Interests:http://www.facebook.com/touge.garage

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:19 PM

i like this car it looks cool

keep up the good work that fuel tank looks pretty bad lol that prob would have made a fueling prob

Loving Life On Full boost

#3 allblaqk

allblaqk

Bolt Ons

• Members
  • Pip
  • 258 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:32 AM

Wow this is a badass little car. Never seen one before.
Love old toyotas.

#4 fearlesss

fearlesss

Addicted to forum

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,684 posts
  • Interests:Winning,

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:46 AM

You both have certainly been through an interesting few years laugh.gif

There was a member on here a few years ago named Rossco . He had basically exactly the same car with a running complete 4efte conversion. He was trying to sell it a few years ago then just disappeared and I could never get hold of him sad.gif

Here\'s His original thread 2010 Sadly all the picture links have gone.
http://www.austarlet.......c=14963&hl=

And the 2011 thread
http://www.austarlet.......c=16871&hl=

#5 Doom

Doom

Fully Rebuilt - On Gas!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Video games,

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:13 PM

nice,

Im not so worried about having Asperger's Syndrome. I didn't seem to bother Einstein, Galileo or Newton

#6 TOMsGPTurbo

TOMsGPTurbo

Lo Boost

• Members
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:04 PM

QUOTE (GT on full boost @ 4 Apr 2012, 11:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i like this car it looks cool

keep up the good work that fuel tank looks pretty bad lol that prob would have made a fueling prob

Thanks GT on full boost, yeh the tank was a bit of a drama lol rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (allblaqk @ 5 Apr 2012, 09:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow this is a badass little car. Never seen one before.
Love old toyotas.

Thanks allblaqk!

QUOTE (fearlesss @ 5 Apr 2012, 09:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You both have certainly been through an interesting few years laugh.gif

There was a member on here a few years ago named Rossco . He had basically exactly the same car with a running complete 4efte conversion. He was trying to sell it a few years ago then just disappeared and I could never get hold of him sad.gif

Here\'s His original thread 2010 Sadly all the picture links have gone.
http://www.austarlet.......c=14963&hl=

And the 2011 thread
http://www.austarlet.......c=16871&hl=

I'm over interesting years ... I just want normal ones lol laugh.gif
I meet Rossco, he is a nice guy, last I heard he moved down to NSW somewhere.
Links don't work sad.gif
But I've seen his cars, I actually own the soft-top one which is my parts car!

QUOTE (Doom @ 5 Apr 2012, 01:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
nice,

Thanks Doom - not as nice as your GT tho!

I broke the temp sensor below the intake manifold when I took the harness off a couple months back, so i thought I'll get under the car and replace it, turns out 3E & 4E plugs are like chalk and cheese dry.gif
Means I'm going to have pull the whole harness out again work out what plugs need replacing and start again... good news is I can work out what 4 'spare' plugs are suppose to be connect to.

#7 TOMsGPTurbo

TOMsGPTurbo

Lo Boost

• Members
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:15 PM

So it appears the wiring loom needs some work, as I found the issue with the coolant sensor - it was actually wired up to the overheat cat sensor, now I just need to work out what the heck happened and put it back the way it should be.
Worst case, I have a spare half of an engine loom.. but that's worst case.

Once the car is running, next on the agenda will be the brakes, at the moment pedal only pops back up half way, I'm thinking master or slave cylinder.

#8 wickedep

wickedep

Getting Started

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:Race car fabrication.

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:52 PM

nice mate! we just finished up a td04/4efte powered gp turbo too. cool cars..

wickedEP Racing...home to some of the fastest EP's in the world!! visit our wesbite http://www.wepracing.com or follow us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/wepracing . check us out on Instagram http://www.instagram.com/wickedep !!!

#9 TOMsGPTurbo

TOMsGPTurbo

Lo Boost

• Members
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:01 AM

QUOTE (wickedep @ 3 May 2012, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
nice mate! we just finished up a td04/4efte powered gp turbo too. cool cars..

Awesome! I would love to hear all about it and see how it goes, I was pondering on doing that with my 4E too.
Where can I get further info?

#10 wickedep

wickedep

Getting Started

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:Race car fabrication.

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:19 AM

QUOTE (TOMsGPTurbo @ 4 May 2012, 01:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Awesome! I would love to hear all about it and see how it goes, I was pondering on doing that with my 4E too.
Where can I get further info?

hey mate..well if you have any questions i will gladly answer them. the customer had swapped in and forged the 4e engine. its also running a haltech ps1000 ecu with our td04 turbo kit and full 3" exhaust. have a look a the pics below...sorry about the bad quality..

cheers..

sacha
wickedEP Racing

wickedEP Racing...home to some of the fastest EP's in the world!! visit our wesbite http://www.wepracing.com or follow us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/wepracing . check us out on Instagram http://www.instagram.com/wickedep !!!

#11 TOMsGPTurbo

TOMsGPTurbo

Lo Boost

• Members
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:11 PM

Wow, that looks like a quality job! very lucky owner, Thanks for sharing.

#12 TOMsGPTurbo

TOMsGPTurbo

Lo Boost

• Members
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:34 AM

Wiring is sorted for now, after all of this:
Swapped fuel tank & pump - confirmed in working order
New Fuel filter - Z200
Half a tank of new PULP 98ron
Injectors tapped clean
New injector o-rings
Fuel rail swapped
Coolant housing swapped
Coolant temp sensor swapped
Coolant temp sensor re-wired
Intake throttle body cleaned out with Subaru engine top-end cleaner
Timing adjusted to a normal level
Checked that earth cable is fine
New battery
Different spark plugs
Checked injectors are getting power
Coil swapped
Distributor checked
Checked power to fuel pump

It was two wires that weren't correctly plugged up to the coolant sensor. - Car started on the first click on a dead battery which was being recharged on jumper leads.
Though my celebrations were cut short with another engine warning light diagnostic code - 52 - knock sensor, I remember I had to change it when I pulled the loom out I accidentally broke the original one, so I pulled the one off the spare engine and chucked it on, but now my plug is different, I checked both spare engine looms I have and neither of them has the knock sensor plug!!
Back to square one.

#13 Graham

Graham

Hi PSI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 860 posts
  • Interests:Computers, cars, photography, electronics gadgets, RC Nitro, etc

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:51 AM

I wired a different oxy sensor on my magna just by cutting and soldering the wires. Both sides are 4-wire jobs, but Iwas able to pickup a Pajero sensor from a Repco clearance sale for $20, so worth it IMO. Can you just solder the wires on one of your good sensors to the correct plug ??

#14 TOMsGPTurbo

TOMsGPTurbo

Lo Boost

• Members
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:56 AM

QUOTE (Graham @ 5 May 2012, 10:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wired a different oxy sensor on my magna just by cutting and soldering the wires. Both sides are 4-wire jobs, but Iwas able to pickup a Pajero sensor from a Repco clearance sale for $20, so worth it IMO. Can you just solder the wires on one of your good sensors to the correct plug ??

Not really as the plug is not negotiable on it's styling lol
I'm not really sure if knock sensors are interchangable, I was doing some reading last night about them and they seemed pretty specific to the model, but I could be wrong as Toyota likes to share it's bits of their models.
The only other option is this -

But that's kind of dodgy IMO

#15 TOMsGPTurbo

TOMsGPTurbo

Lo Boost

• Members
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:14 PM

So the rolla now starts off the key, but i'm still getting the knock sensor code after wiring it up to above type connector, also, turbo is no longer boosting and drivers side front shock is no longer functioning.

1 step forward (car starts)
3 steps back (knock sensor, turbo, suspension)

ok - quick browse and found out it could be this:

Symptom- Engine Knocking
Possible Problems
• Big end bearing
• Main bearings
• Thrust bearings
• Cam followers

I have no idea what that means - but sounds like I need a rebuild?

Edited by TOMsGPTurbo, 07 May 2012 - 07:53 PM.

#16 TOMsGPTurbo

TOMsGPTurbo

Lo Boost

• Members
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:42 PM

Anyone around Ipswich / Brisbane area have any front mount intercooler piping they don't need anymore?
I have a ebay kit and it's extremely crap quality, and just bought two reducers from my intercooler and no where near the right size I needed (my fail at measuring correctly)

#17 TOMsGPTurbo

TOMsGPTurbo

Lo Boost

• Members
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:54 PM

**EDIT**

FMIC is near complete, both 2" to 3" reducer and 2.25" to 3" reducer arrived today, so finally after 10years I have a FMIC!
pics tomorrow...

Edited by TOMsGPTurbo, 26 June 2012 - 10:05 PM.

#18 TOMsGPTurbo

TOMsGPTurbo

Lo Boost

• Members
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:39 PM

Ok, a lot has happened since my last update, and yet again I've gone full circle.

Basically when I was finishing up on the FMIC, I over-tightened one nut and stripped the bolt on the turbo intake, great excuse to replace it.
Long story short - I had heaps of issues with taking the manifold off so in the end I had to work around it which involved having to take the exhaust off to get the turbo off thanks to the stock restrictive cat.
I have larger exhaust sitting around but after a failed effort to take the original one off I gave up on the idea for now.

So the car at the moment has the CT12/9 hybrid turbo bolted on, and 'whilst I'm down there' I'm going to bleed the clutch and brake fluids and maybe exchange parts if needs be.

#19 TOMsGPTurbo

TOMsGPTurbo

Lo Boost

• Members
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:22 PM

Photos:

CT12/9 Turbo

Swapping the Turbo

FMIC on - bottom bar & grill yet to be put back on.

#20 TOMsGPTurbo

TOMsGPTurbo

Lo Boost

• Members
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:42 PM

Hey guys, I haven't been on for a while, not much happening with my car at this time ... I've had some great news - I'm going to be a father!
So I've been working hard to fix up our home to sell so we can free up some money for when our baby arrives.
I'm a first time dad and super excited / proud! we had our first scan yesterday and everything looks good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2018 Your Company Name