#21 Mo3

Mo3

Addicted to forum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 06:27 PM

QUOTE (TOMsGPTurbo @ 11 Aug 2012, 05:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey guys, I haven't been on for a while, not much happening with my car at this time ... I've had some great news - I'm going to be a father!
So I've been working hard to fix up our home to sell so we can free up some money for when our baby arrives.
I'm a first time dad and super excited / proud! we had our first scan yesterday and everything looks good.

congrats mate

finish this asap!! before you get over it and be like "i need a bigger car"

#22 TOMsGPTurbo

TOMsGPTurbo

Lo Boost

• Members
  • Pip
  • 183 posts
  • Interests:One day driving my car

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:45 AM

Thanks Mo3, I'm thinking the same! Plan is to get it on the road asap .... getting closer each time I work on it, just need to work out bonnet latch bracket and should be done.

#23 TOMsGPTurbo

TOMsGPTurbo

Lo Boost

• Members
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:36 PM

Bit of anti-climax post - kind of in a rut at the moment, nothings changed besides knowing 100% I need new brake lines as they have degenerated, made a list of things to do - so slowly getting there.

#24 TOMsGPTurbo

TOMsGPTurbo

Lo Boost

• Members
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:40 PM

I made a custom bonnet latch thing... Now the bonnet closes!

#25 lazyoner

lazyoner

Lo Boost

• Members
  • Pip
  • 177 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:01 AM

nice man... hahahahaah that fuel tank is off the chain.... im gunna go home and check my datsun 13b i have sitting under the house lol stuff that cant let that happen

#26 TOMsGPTurbo

TOMsGPTurbo

Lo Boost

• Members
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:01 PM

A bit of bad luck for me lately, my daily astra just blew the head gasket and now I have two broken cars ...

#27 TOMsGPTurbo

TOMsGPTurbo

Lo Boost

• Members
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:25 PM

Waiting on some new brake lines, then intercooler and exhaust are going to be plumbed back up, front end put back on and one step closer to rego :)

#28 GaryGT

GaryGT

Getting Started

• Members
  • 76 posts
  • Interests:Cars and women

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:05 PM

looks like a Cool project

Just a little Tip Dont be afraid to ask for Help mate

Ders plenty of Guys on here that has Years of experience under der belts,

im sure der some guys not far from you that wud help ya out mate ,

Keep the Faith

regards

G

#29 TOMsGPTurbo

TOMsGPTurbo

Lo Boost

• Members
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:01 PM

Thanks Gary, hopefully there is going to be some progress soon ;)

I think I have some issues with the intercooler pipes, turbo doesn't make any sounds when I free rev the engine? boost leak I assume?

Another issue I have is when  the engine is idling it coughs a bit when it gets warmer, I have no idea what's causing that.

I'm yet to get the knock sensor (and harness) and alternator belt.

On other news, my wife and I welcomed our first child on 10/02/2013 - so some fantastic news for us.

Edited by TOMsGPTurbo, 18 February 2013 - 07:07 PM.

#30 Graham

Graham

Hi PSI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 860 posts
  • Interests:Computers, cars, photography, electronics gadgets, RC Nitro, etc

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:17 PM

Congrats on #1, but you know what they say - "once you pop, you can't stop." :)

I could never hear my turbo free revving the engine with stock IC. With the front mount, if I free rev it a LOT, it flutters on lift off. So unless you're really giving it some revs, don't count on hearing the turbo - it needs resistance to build up boost.

I did have a boost leak too, but this was a whistle while driving - one of the hose clamps had stretched and wouldn't tighten up fully.

So I'd get it running and then road tests will tell you for sure if the turbo is boosting up properly. Just don't stress the engine if it does have a leak, just in case it throws the tuning out - the engine might not be happy with that.

#31 TOMsGPTurbo

TOMsGPTurbo

Lo Boost

• Members
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:27 PM

lol, thanks Graham, I need my sleep - maybe slept 4hrs solid sleep in 48hours now.

Thanks for verifying the turbo sound, I don't know why but I thought I use to hear it when I use to rev it before - I do need to road test it soon, I'm going to chuck the braided lines on and see how I go.

Back in the day when my GP was going, I remember when I had a boost leak as the car would overfuel heaps and I'll get black smoke coming out of the exhaust.

I'll listen for the whistle tho, dodgy cheap FMIC piping :/

Maybe the timing is right out any way, the car hasn't had a tune in 10yrs .... lol :unsure:

#32 TOMsGPTurbo

TOMsGPTurbo

Lo Boost

• Members
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:45 AM

So I thought I'll finally get this air-con compressor off and a new belt for the power-steering. I went to super-crap and they didn't have the belt - got no service and the staff were rude, so I go to Autobahn - the guy there was friendly - they didn't have the belt I wanted but gave me another belt to try - it didn't fit, so I have to exchange it tomorrow.

I thought that the night wasn't completely lost, so I tried to take the compressor, on the last bolt I round the head of it - no matter that it was drenched in oil and sprayed with WD40.

This was the exact same issue I had when I went to swap the exhaust over to the 2.5" I have lying around. I can't believe the bad luck I'm having lately, I really hope it turns around.

Edited by TOMsGPTurbo, 02 March 2013 - 12:37 PM.

#33 TOMsGPTurbo

TOMsGPTurbo

Lo Boost

• Members
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:54 PM

Started work on the brake lines, looks like I do need the 2 additional hoses for the rear which didn't come with my kit from the UK.

Anyone have 2 braided brake line hoses lying around?

#34 TOMsGPTurbo

TOMsGPTurbo

Lo Boost

• Members
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:38 PM

Air-compressor off, drilled the crap out of the bolt, then pulled the
compressor towards me and it snapped off at the head - proves when all
else fails get angry.

The correct powersteering belt is now on (Gates - 4PK925), First belt
I've changed on my car myself, it's nice and firm - but not too firm wink.png

What's next - brake lines, horn install, battery tie-down, alarm, horn and swap the steering wheel back to the stock one.

#35 Kyle

Kyle

Bolt Ons

• Members
  • Pip
  • 251 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:07 AM

May have the brake lines,

let me have a look.

#36 TOMsGPTurbo

TOMsGPTurbo

Lo Boost

• Members
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:07 PM

Wow thanks Kyle! I didn't really want to start bending lines and changing them from original spec

#37 TOMsGPTurbo

TOMsGPTurbo

Lo Boost

• Members
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:30 PM

Brake lines are banjo's at the rear, same as the EP82 and not the EP71 - I hope someone who is looking at doing the same to their EL31 finds this post, I made the mistake of purchasing from eBay so I can't exchange - further more it doesn't help when theirs generic pictures used on ebay - ohwell, live and learn.

I'm getting to that point where I'm thinking it's going to be easier to take the car to a shop and say fix it, get a loan to pay the shop and have the car finally on the road.

Anyhow, whinge over.

Progress: washer bottle back in and plugged up,  I found the original horn and alarm so i'm installing them, pulled the radiator and intercooler out to make it a bit easier.

I could only put on one HELS Brake lines on the front drivers side, on the passenger side - the tube is slightly bent so the fitting can't come off, I'm trying to work out how to bend it without damaging it with my very limited tools I have access to.

#38 TOMsGPTurbo

TOMsGPTurbo

Lo Boost

• Members
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:59 PM

So I've finished the FMIC, it's all plugged up and working, a test drive put a massive smile on my face.

Now the good and bad:

Good:

The car fires up and is driveable.

Bad:

The radiator fan doesn't kick in and the temp gauge is giving a false reading

The EP82 rear strut brace I purchased off a member here doesn't fit my car so that was disappointing to find out. 

I'm thinking I need a new complete loom (maybe I stuffed up somewhere) and thermo sensors?

#39 ARO_10

ARO_10

Hi PSI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 956 posts
  • Interests:cars, bikes, jetskis, anything quick.

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:52 PM

look like your having fun. Hope you get it sorted.

I went through a fair bit of stuffing around with the EP91 Glanza V engine install in the ARO as I found out the electrics between the EP82 & 91 aren't the same or the ECU internals.

With the thermo fan you should be able to kick it in by earthing the sense wire and it should turn on. If not then it may not be your thermo sensor.

When you say your temp gauge is giving a false reading, what sort of reading is it giving? It will be earthed through it's housing and supply the reading through the resistance of the sensor, hotter it gets the less resistance (or more) it gets and send to the gauge. May also need to find out what the factory sensor resistance was. There are a lot of different sensors out there. I run a VDO dash & using their sensor in the water line to the radiator (aluminium piping).

Good luck with the build

The ARO that deffinately can. You'll only see the back of me.

#40 TOMsGPTurbo

TOMsGPTurbo

Lo Boost

• Members
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:41 PM

look like your having fun. Hope you get it sorted.

I went through a fair bit of stuffing around with the EP91 Glanza V engine install in the ARO as I found out the electrics between the EP82 & 91 aren't the same or the ECU internals.

With the thermo fan you should be able to kick it in by earthing the sense wire and it should turn on. If not then it may not be your thermo sensor.

When you say your temp gauge is giving a false reading, what sort of reading is it giving? It will be earthed through it's housing and supply the reading through the resistance of the sensor, hotter it gets the less resistance (or more) it gets and send to the gauge. May also need to find out what the factory sensor resistance was. There are a lot of different sensors out there. I run a VDO dash & using their sensor in the water line to the radiator (aluminium piping).

Good luck with the build

Thanks for that, the false reading is basically when I turn on the car and it's cold, the temp gauge tells me the engine is warm (niddle on gauge is in the middle).

I'll have a go at what you said and hopefully it's something basic as no ground.

I had so many problems with this damn sensors, basically because I didn't have one wired up correctly the car refused to start, it took me weeks to find what the problem was.

I wish I just had a normal loom with all the sensors and aux bits so I could just swap it over and have no more problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2018 Your Company Name