1149 replies to this topic

#1141 Androo26

Androo26

Fully Rebuilt - On Gas!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 05:53 AM

Mounting it in a similar place to where you have yours mounted Doug, firewall near the stock one.

#1142 Androo26

Androo26

Fully Rebuilt - On Gas!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 07:14 PM

Eager to get this brake bias adjuster on, Ive removed the intake manifold in order to make some room to work in. Ill make a bracket and mount it down in there somewhere.

#1143 dougmo

dougmo

Mild Boost

• Members
  • Pip
  • 443 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 09:35 PM

that will help a heap, it was a nightmare working in that tight spot

winton 1:27.4 /// sandown 1:21.5 /// phillip island 1:49.4 /// haunted hills 59.1///eastern creek 1:35.4

#1144 Androo26

Androo26

Fully Rebuilt - On Gas!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 10:00 PM

So today I got stuck into it . The bracket I made last night and painted is now ready to go.

Making the lines up was a little tricky , so I used some 2mm welding wire to make a template up . Ive also added some black protective heat shrink to give it that factory stealth look too.

Job done

After re bleeding the brakes I took it for a spin to test it out and make some adjustments, It works fantastic. Now with the new master cylinder, bias adjuster and QFM pads I have a nice firm pedal that pulls it up pretty well. And I was able to do all the work myself, Happy customer.

All up the bias adjuster fittings and line and some brake fluid cost around $80. Money well spent.

#1145 Androo26

Androo26

Fully Rebuilt - On Gas!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 04:55 PM

Ive made some progress with the rear brake setup and have bead blasted and painted the Caliper mounting brackets in Yellow to match the front.

Im still getting the calipers prepped and rebuild kits are on order.

#1146 Androo26

Androo26

Fully Rebuilt - On Gas!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 09:51 AM

Caliper kits are here. Turns out genuine toyota was the cheapest . These are Paseo EL44 Rear kits

I will get stuck into it tomorrow.

#1147 Androo26

Androo26

Fully Rebuilt - On Gas!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:00 PM

Its caliper rebuild day Huuraah !!!

20170919_084032_zpsyfsskvlf.jpg

After doing  the first one... I learn't some things , so I will pass this good info onto you.

First off DO NOT REMOVE this spring bucket from inside the piston...... It is a right royal pain in the ass to get back in ... and there is no reason to remove it.

20170919_094451_zps1lytq68v.jpg

Starting the rebuild I found it easiest to assemble the hand brake lever pin and components.

1 Grease the inner needle roller bearing and put the seal on before sliding in the the actuation pin.

20170919_085709_zpsqjtvxnyu.jpg

Its hard to see but there is a needle roller in there. And then put the seal on ( forgot to get a pic of the seal.)

Next up the actuation pin, put some grease in the dimple and on the shaft. There is marked left and right on the pins , dont mix them up.

20170919_085645_zpspzbydtgz.jpg

I found it better to put the lever and spring on after the pin install.

Next is the handbrake piston. It has an O ring and a cup seal.... it goes on in the direction shown.

20170919_084747_zps1w4dkfef.jpg

20170919_084526_zps4j8i3fy2.jpg

On top of the piston sits the small pin and also a flat rubber washer. Use grease to hold them in place.

20170919_090043_zpslu3bcdpj.jpg

Carefully put it into the caliper making sure the pin locates into the dimple.

A dog bone shaped piece goes in next.... Dont forget the tiny spring that goes under the dog bone.... the whole lot is retained by a circlip.

20170919_090823_zpspqofq2w9.jpg

Assemble the main piston and basket. Hopefully you didnt pull it apart like I did. Make sure the self adjusting screw and bearing inside is free and lubed well. Put in the new main square shaped hydraulic seal, lube it up and push it in gently.

I found it easier to have the main dust boot on the piston when installing it too. Fit dust boot retaining clip also.

Lube the slide pins and install boots , put it all together . Test the handbrake lever actuation and it should be all good.

The finished product.

20170919_113324_zpsakja5e6q.jpg

Edited by Androo26, 19 September 2017 - 12:14 PM.

#1148 dougmo

dougmo

Mild Boost

• Members
  • Pip
  • 443 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 08:59 PM

nice work, they look awesome

winton 1:27.4 /// sandown 1:21.5 /// phillip island 1:49.4 /// haunted hills 59.1///eastern creek 1:35.4

#1149 Androo26

Androo26

Fully Rebuilt - On Gas!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 11:05 AM

Im just waiting on some new discs to match the fronts and wheel bearings and we are good to go.

#1150 Androo26

Androo26

Fully Rebuilt - On Gas!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:52 PM

My shipment of Motul RBF 600 brake fluid has arrived .

I also found this article quite interesting about the benefits of using a high temp brake fluid at track days ect.

http://trackdays.ie/...ng-brake-fluid/

I had 2 strange things happen today ..... my steering wheel seemed to move 5-10 degrees off center while driving over a couple of speed humps today... Hmm thats a bit scary !!!!

So when I eventually got home ( thats the next story) I thought id remove the horn and check that the nut holding the boss on was tight. I was able to get a bout 3/4 of a turn on it...

Perhaps since I have much more castor angle and now heavier steering It may have caused it to loosen with the extra load. Ill be keeping an eye on that one.

The other thing that happened was that the starter turned over very slowly, if any at all when I stopped in at the shops on the way home. I tried several times to no avail. Its been very hot here today. So I walked home as I only live about 10m walk from the shops.

Went back later when it had cooled down..... and presto !! thing fired straight up just like normal. This has happened once before. The battery is pretty new as is the starter. When I got it home I located the starter relay and pulled it out  and cleaned all the terminals and plug with contact cleaner...tried it again.. turned over just like normal. Here is the location of the starter relay.

Perhaps this has been the issue ?? Ill look at some other stuff in the morning.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)
Copyright © 2017 Your Company Name