IP.Board Style© Fisana

Photo

So I met Wokstar and now have built a car for her race series......

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 StuC

StuC

Mild Boost

• Members
  • Pip
  • 417 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 02:46 PM

So i finally sold my Starlet GT to Lucas on here. It was a long process owning that car and unfortunately I never got to do with it what i wanted and what it deserved. Time, money and life all threw speedhumps in so it was the best thing for me to do right now.

Turn the clock back a bit to the Toyota Winterfest, where i actually put a permit on the Starlet and had it on show. It had a fair bit of interest and was loved by most people that saw it. One, in particular, was Wokstar. During our rabbid conversation about all things EP82 and hot-hatch boost we happened upon the topic of track cars and the little race series she was starting up. Cheap, door-to-door racing with like-minded individuals out for some fun. Instantly I was hooked and had to have in. The following week I scoured through eBay, Gumtree and forums for a suitable little beater to turn into a furious track warrior. Even though I am a Toyota man at heart i didn't want to track a Paseo or Starlet coz i'd end up trying to turbo it and get back to where I started with the GT.

Enter the Mitsubishi Mirage. I have one of these as a daily and i just cant kill the thing. 204,000kms on the clock, original timing belt and water pump, ive thrashed it for 65,000kms in 26 months. It loves it and actually handles very very well due to the multilink rear suspension and evo-bred geometry. So, I managed to score myself one on the VIV register with 140k on the clock for the peanut sum of $350. Drove from Melbourne to NSW and trailered it home where it has sat dormant till now.

I have a couple of weeks off over Christmas so hope to finish my parts haording and get it all in.

So far i have the following parts to go in:

- Koni yellow adjustables with super low king springs (may swap these for a set of BC Gold coilovers. will have a think on that for the moment)

- Rear disc conversion from a Proton Satria (handbrake cables, caliper, discs, lower control arm etc all bolt in)

- Rear swaybar from Proton Satria (factory bar that bolts in. Wasn't installed by Mitsu but all mounts are there)

- Sparco Sprint V bucket SAAS 4 point harness

- Momo Champion 330mm steering wheel and generic boss

- 15*7" Mazdaspeed MS-01Rs in red, 195/50/R15 Potenza RE002 with 90% tread. Made by Rays, 12.5kg with rubber

Parts to be picked up/sourced:

- Camber/castor kit

- Eurethane bushes

- Evo3/FTO/Magna  twin pots to suit 276mm disc

- 276mm slotted discs (will need to redrill to 4x100 and make up hubcentric spacer)

- Braided lines all round

- Evo 4 booster and brake master cylinder

- Bolt-in half cage

- Extractors and exhaust. 2", no cat, possible side pipe action

- Tacho dash or Tactrix data logger with tablet display

So far I have only stripped the interior (B pillar rearwards only due to regs) and removed all of the AC gear from the engine bay. I will need to make up a shroud for the radiator as there is now a large gap due to removal of the AC condensor and this isn't good for cooling. All up I should have this running and rolling for around the $3k mark, which both fits within the price cap and the limitations of my wallet. Budget racing!! Im pretty excited to get back out on the track in something that will be evenly matched, fun and not be scared to ding it or throw it in as hard as i can.

I'll chuck some photos up when i take some more and when it doesnt look like a car filled to the roof with trims and parts.

Edited by StuC, 19 December 2014 - 02:48 PM.

#2 卐LucasEP82卍

卐LucasEP82卍

Lo Boost

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 10:33 PM

I somehow stumbled upon Wokstar's blog on her new race series about 2 months ago and It does sound like an exciting event. I look forward to seeing some post on her blog of the series in the new year. good luck Stu cuz Woky looks like a good racer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2018 Your Company Name