13 replies to this topic

#1 skourbeis

skourbeis

Getting Started

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 09:19 AM

Hey guys,

Just picked up my Starlet yesterday and absolutely love it!

Attached File  IMG_4032.JPG   323.83K   1 downloads

Mods from previous owner:

• Turbosmart boost T (set to 12psi and never ever changed, stock is 10psi)
  • Tein udjustable suspension
  • HKS blow off valve
  • Sports muffler
  • Pod filter
  • RDA performance brake rotors (front)
  • Project MU M800 street/circuit pads (front)
  • Genuine TRD steering wheel and gear knob
Question: He has also provided me with a brand new "hybrid turbo" but didn't get round to fitting it - should this be a straight bolt-on?

#2 Graham

Graham

Hi PSI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 860 posts
  • Interests:Computers, cars, photography, electronics gadgets, RC Nitro, etc

Posted 12 May 2016 - 10:48 AM

Welcome!

I would think a Hybrid is from a CT9, which should be a bolt on, but it could mean anything.

Are there any markings on the turbo to identify it? (Like CT9).

The main Hybrid turbo I know of for Starlets is from speed vision. Does it look anything like this: http://www.speedvisi...f5e7866b6f463fb

Cheers!

#3 skourbeis

skourbeis

Getting Started

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 12:07 PM

Are there any markings on the turbo to identify it? (Like CT9).

Hi Graham, I honestly haven't had a look at it properly yet but will check when I get home from work. If it is a straight bolt-on would be great as I could do this myself!

#4 skourbeis

skourbeis

Getting Started

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 08:19 AM

I managed to get some pictures of the turbo last night, it does have "CT9" stamped on the housing.

Attached File  IMG_4051.JPG   102.01K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_4052.JPG   117.96K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_4053.JPG   123.67K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_4054.JPG   97.78K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_4055.JPG   117.89K   1 downloads

#5 McLovin82

McLovin82

Lo Boost

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts
  • Interests:Cars

Posted 13 May 2016 - 08:35 AM

No doubt that's a ct9 hybrid, I've got the same on my car.
What you'll notice with that turbo over the standard is boosting earlier, and holding the boost throughout the rev range. There is also a slight power gain over the standard.
It has the same flanges as a standard turbo so it's a straight bolt up, however the inlet is around 10mm larger, so a quick trip to supercheap to get a silicon adapter does the job.

2h52lxe.jpg

Wish I could have these options in real life

#6 skourbeis

skourbeis

Getting Started

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 10:02 PM

Apparently its a speedvision hybrid CT9, and yes McLovin82, it did need a 10mm larger silicone adapter.

Install isn't complete though as the oil feed bolt is ridiculously hard to get to as the air con is in the way? On all of the installs ive seen people have clear access to the oil feed bolt - any tips?

#7 skourbeis

skourbeis

Getting Started

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 11:05 AM

So I got round to installing my Hybrid CT9 on the weekend - with great difficulty! Had I have known some of the little tips im about to share upfront, I would have been much better off.

I used this site as a reference: http://www.toyotagtt...d turbo removal

Additional to that guide if you know these tips it should be smooth sailing:

• Lower down (not remove) the aircon pump! The guide above shows clear access to the oil feed banjo bolt - however don't be fooled, this is because he has removed the aircon system from his car which allows you direct access to this banjo bolt. I followed this guide for the aircon: http://www.ukstarlet...ing-removal-r48.
  • There are 4x 12mm long bolts (2 on bottom, 2 on top) holding the pump to the bracket. Once you undo these, lift the pump pulley out of the belt and it should just hang in place still connected to the aircon radiator and the other pipe leading towards the cabin.
  • I also removed the bracket that holds the pump to the car (again 4x12mm bolts like the pump beforehand) allowing full access to the oil feed banjo bolt and allowing the oil feed piping to be removed / put back on as the bracket can make it tricky.

• I also undid the bolts holding the upper A/C radiator in place allowing me more room to move the spanner when undoing the 4 bolts holding the turbo to the manifold as it is a tight fit! especially the bolt in the rear closest to the turbo.
  • As McLovin82 stated above depending on your hybrid (mine was from speedvision) you will need a silicone adapter for the inlet (10mm larger).
  • Also depending on your hybrid you will need to salvage from the old turbo: the 4 bolts on the turbine side connecting to the dump pipe, and the 2 bolts for the compressor side of the turbo. A word of warning these bolts have no head on them and hence you will need to wrap a rubber glove around the thread sticking out and undo the bolt with some pliers. I needed to use plenty of RP7 to loosen these up.

#8 Graham

Graham

Hi PSI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 02:39 PM

Remember what you've done, so next time when you need to do an oil filter change... :)
Lowering the AC compressor out of the way is the only way I can access mine.
I need to buy a oil filter relocator kit before my next service so it can be the last time I remove the AC for this reason :)

How does the car drive now? Any noticeable difference?

Oh, and those bolts without a head, I think they're called studs.
I thought they had a section in the middle without thread which you can put a spanner on, or am I thinking of something completely different?
Another option is put two nuts on the end, tighten them together and undo the stud using the bottom nut - that may stretch threads but for this use shouldn't be an issue.
However, your safe stud removal technique worked, so no complaints :)

#9 skourbeis

skourbeis

Getting Started

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 03:23 PM

I reckon next time I do it, will either be an oil change or to upgrade my manifold, as it is the stock one and is developing a small crack!

Where do you buy an oil filter relocation kit, and where does it relocate it to?

Well I ran out of time last night as I finished at 10pm to do any further work, and it is running on the same mechanical boost settings from my Boost Tee on the old turbo, so baby'd it to work today. Ill update once I adjust the boost levels. Initial impression is a lot earlier spool time and a harder pull but could be because of the Boost tee set high.

Yes those are the ones! There is a section without thread, but no grooves for a spanner to grab onto. I didn't think of that method! But yes my method worked with a little lube and some muscle :)

#10 Graham

Graham

Hi PSI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 11:41 AM

Yep - manifold crack on #3 cylinder can be an issue - I think I read that it causes a hot spot which can lead to piston damage, would be worth confirming that one if you're running above stock boost.

Oil filter relocator, I'm sure there's others around, but seems to be a lot cheaply on ebay. Not sure how good they are, but I'll probably take the plunge soon.
Where you relocate it to depends on how you can route the oil lines and mount the oil filter mount - I've seen them put on the radiator support, guard and side of the strut tower.

I reckon next time I do it, will either be an oil change or to upgrade my manifold, as it is the stock one and is developing a small crack!

Where do you buy an oil filter relocation kit, and where does it relocate it to?

#11 Adsie_d

Adsie_d

Getting Started

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 01:50 PM

Nice buy skourbei.  ;)

I think I seen this listed on car sales, I had my eye on it for a little while but I was reluctant to travel all the way up from Wollongong in case it was not what I was looking for.

Looks good though mate, congrats! :)

#12 skourbeis

skourbeis

Getting Started

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 06:44 PM

Nice buy skourbei.  ;)

I think I seen this listed on car sales, I had my eye on it for a little while but I was reluctant to travel all the way up from Wollongong in case it was not what I was looking for.

Looks good though mate, congrats! :)

Thanks! Although this one was local in Tallai - I think the new member after me bought that one you are referring to!

#13 skourbeis

skourbeis

Getting Started

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 09:34 AM

Now looking at replacing the manifold and dump pipe as they both are developing small cracks.

Does anyone know the best route to go down? Ebay?

#14 McLovin82

McLovin82

Lo Boost

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts
  • Interests:Cars

Posted 18 May 2016 - 06:10 PM

Have both of these items on my car, you do pay for what you get. However for what they are they're suprisingly good, fairly smooth welds. For the money you really can't go wrong.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/...559?_mwBanner=1

http://m.ebay.com.au...218?_mwBanner=1

2h52lxe.jpg

Wish I could have these options in real life

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2018 Your Company Name