• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 GMH_L67

GMH_L67

Getting Started

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 07:57 PM

Hey everyone first time poster. I currently own a 5speed 3 door ep91 as my daily as it's very fuel efficient had it for almost 3years and my weekender is a Holden vs supercharged v6 with a lot of work done to it.
Downside to the starlet is compression is low and burning a lot of oil (3L per 5000km) so was thinking of doing new rings and seals throughout the engine. I've wanted to do a 4efte conversion for about a year now but none have been in Vic that I find. Ive recently found a complete ep82 for $500 been sitting for 6years engine needs some tlc blowing blue smoke and compression is low been thinking of getting it and rebuilding the engine. Never been in a 4efte and would like a bit more power for the daily.

#2 Graham

Graham

Hi PSI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 860 posts
  • Interests:Computers, cars, photography, electronics gadgets, RC Nitro, etc

Posted 26 June 2016 - 10:09 PM

Hi and welcome.

Biggest advice I'll offer is to find out what you need to do to register the engine swapped car, before you go and buy any engine.

In NSW, it would need an engineer's certificate, and one of the things they have to sign off on is that the engine isn't more polluting than the original.

I passed this by having a newer engine than the car, but EP82 is older than EP91 so that's worth double checking for Vic. It might mean you need to go for EPA pollution tests ie: $ and then make changes until you can get it to pass.

I did do my swap before going to an engineer which could have been a big problem...

- first engineer quoted me $6k to do testing & certify it

- second engineer I contacted quoted me "$165 per hour, make an appointment" and wouldn't tell me how many hours it might take

-  third engineer was great, helpful, sensible and laughed at #1. Price = $850 (which is normal these days in NSW)

I've not seen a huge power gain because my 4EFTE isn't running quite right, but just the torque increase makes it a much better drive. Worth it in the end.

#3 GMH_L67

GMH_L67

Getting Started

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 10:14 AM

I'm not sure how it would work in Vic with the engine swap in the starlet as an import engine. I did it to my Holden vs v6 to supercharged v6 I just had to provide proof that I brought the engine and they updated engine numbers. Had a quick look around on the website will have to do some wiring to get the engine to work in my ep91 the ep82 is auto so I would have to find a manual ecu would an ep82 ecu work in my ep91? Gotta research some more about it

#4 Rav

Rav

Bolt Ons

• Members
  • Pip
  • 275 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 07:36 AM

When reseaching its worth checking the number on the map sensor this usually matches the ecu numbers but not always. Some variation with year for example the speed detection changed from early to later autos also as you probably realise from 2 pin plug to 3 pin plug moves a few pins around for adding abs braking etc. and the A/C wiring changes go through the A/C computer .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2018 Your Company Name